Ever feel overwhelmed by your environment? Does it sometime feel like others energy soaks into your personal space? Ever catch yourself feeling exhausted, angry, irritable, moody, or sick for no reason–it just came like a sudden flood out of no where? Have you ever asked yourself why you are so sensitive to others around you and the environment?
The good news is these feelings might NOT be yours.
You may be what others call an “empath” also know as a “highly sensitive person” (HSP). Empaths are highly sensitive of the environment and energy. Often they can sense others energy and even absorb others energy. They can sense how another person is feeling just by being in proximity or seeing the person as if the feeling is in their OWN body.
The following list is provided by Michael R. Smith, Ph.D of EmpathConnection.com to help you discover if you are an empath.
You May Be An Empath If…
1. You look at someone and “just know” their emotional state.
2. You can feel the energy coming at you (or being drained) from another person, especially from the eyes.
3. You have a blocked feeling in your chest [or core], as if someone is tugging on it.
4. Tend to run away from people when stressed, rather than engage.
5. You’ve been called “oversensitive,” especially if you’re male.
6. Always know where danger may lurk. (Curiously, you may have avoided accidents).
7. Are drawn to the tranquility of animals.
8. Are drawn to mountains, nature, the ocean – anywhere outdoors.
9. Can not bear violence in any form.
10. Can easily produce tears, sometimes at will.
11. You can feel the physical aches & pains of others.
12. Feel better after a good, intense cry.
13. See things from the “bigger picture” and from “the larger scheme of things.”
14. Are overwhelmed by large crowds or mobs (e.g. shopping malls).
15. Can sometimes feel affected by the energy of the full moon.
16. Have intense, fantastic, and sometimes lucid, dreams.
If this sounds like you… You’re not alone.
Be sure to check out the TOOLs & TIPs in our Empath Tool Box and leave us your comments & suggestions.
And for more helpful energy tips and techniques to help Empaths & Highly Sensitive People, check out Dr. Michael R. Smith’s The Complete Empath Toolkit: 44 Practical Steps to Master Your Energy and Personal Power.